- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup Trader Joe's Harvest Blend couscous and quinoa
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Juice from one lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
Make the couscous-quinoa blend:
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add in 1 tablespoon butter.
- When butter melts, add in the Harvest Blend and stir. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff and set aside.
Make the vegetables:
- Heat the other tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until garlic and shallots are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the shiitake mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the couscous-quinoa mixture to the sautéed veggies and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss in the cilantro. Serve while warm.
- I used Trader Joe's Harvest Blend because it's so easy to make. But, you can use 1 cup of Israeli (pearl) couscous and 1/4 cup of quinoa instead of this blend.
- If you're a fan of veggies like I am, try adding in other veggies like colorful bell peppers, spinach, or zucchini.
- Want it spicier? Add in more red pepper flakes, or add in some hot peppers.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 278.8 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.5 g
- Protein: 10.9 g
- Cholesterol: 11.6 mg
Keywords: couscous, quinoa, shiitake mushrooms, easy side dish, fall side dish