- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch. Add scallops to the bowl and marinate for at least 10 minutes. Remove scallops but reserve marinade.
- Meanwhile, using a spiral vegetable cutter, make spaghetti-like noodles with the zucchini. Pat the noodles dry with paper towels to remove the moisture.
- Heat a cast iron pan or heavy sauté pan on medium-high heat and add oil. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Sear scallops on one side 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Flip and sear on other side for about 2 minutes more. Add half of the marinade to the pan to coat the scallops. Remove scallops to a dish and keep warm.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pan and cook quickly until the sauce coats the zucchini noodles. It should be al dente. Serve immediately with the scallops on the side or on top of the zucchini.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
- You can use fresh or frozen sea scallops. Smell for freshness! If the scallops smell sweet then they are fresh.
- I used my cast iron pan to sear these scallops. If you have a heavy sauté pan it will also work just fine.
- Scallops can overcook very quickly. Watch them carefully while searing. It should only take about 3 minutes on each side. The scallops will loosen up off of the pan when they are ready to be flipped.
- Not into zucchini noodles? Of course, you could serve these scallops with a side of pasta and it would be amazing as well!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Diet: Low Calorie
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 1141.7 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
- Protein: 25.8 g
- Cholesterol: 46.5 mg
Keywords: pan seared scallops, what to serve with scallops, spicy scallops, healthy seared scallops, sauteed scallops