- 6 Persian cucumbers (or 2 English cucumbers)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons hot chili oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Cut the ends off of the cucumbers. Pound the cucumbers with a mallet or large flat knife until the cucumbers are slightly cracked. Slice the cucumbers on the diagonal, about 1 inch thick.
- Place the cucumbers in a large bowl and toss with the salt and sugar. Transfer cucumbers to a strainer placed over the same bowl. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to drain the liquid.
- Make the dressing: Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Set aside.
- To assemble: Transfer the cucumbers to a large serving bowl. Coat with the dressing and toss in the chili oil to finish. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and top with cilantro. Serve extra chili oil on the side if desired.
- I used Persian cucumbers for this salad. Feel free to use English cucumbers, but you'll need to slice them in half lengthwise before smashing.
- You can prepare the salad ingredients up to a day ahead. Just store the cucumbers and the sauce separately in the refrigerator.
- Don’t toss the cucumbers with the dressing until you're ready to serve. That way the cucumbers won’t become too soggy or limp.
- If you like it even hotter, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top. Or, toss with some chopped Thai red chili peppers (super hot level!).
- Get creative with the toppings! You can garnish with basil, mint, chopped green onions, sliced red onions, etc.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Salads
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 740.5 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: smashed cucumber salad, chinese smashed cucumber salad, smashed cucumber salad chinese